Maria Silva, founder of the Burnaby Mediation Centre, in the Greater Vancouver area works toward helping those in conflict make their own decisions. She does this by assisting individuals, couples, groups and organizations find new ways to achieve resolution and to transform relationships wherever practical. This is done using a solutions focused approach where looking at what you see working is explored and then creating options to make that happen. Participants identify and achieve their mutual goals within a down-to-earth environment.
Maria was born in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean in a small island called Sao Miguel. She was raised in Vancouver, BC. It didn’t take long for Maria to recognize the differences in culture, values, attitudes, social relationships and observed the various ways others would handle conflict. Maria remembers the numerous times she would sit with the adults and listen to their conversations. It was these observations that led her to an unwavering interest in human relationships.
Maria’s philosophy is that making your own decisions about your own life is better than having somebody else make them for you and if you cannot do this on your own, mediation is a good option.
Maria is a Certified Comprehensive Family Mediator with Family Mediation Canada and is on the Civil and Family Rosters of Mediate BC. Her educational background includes learning at UBC, SFU, BCIT, CLEBC and the JIBC.
Summary of Qualifications
- BC Provincial Court - Civil Mediation Practicum
- D.R. Innovation Society (now Mediate BC) - Family Mediation Practicum
- Certified as a Comprehensive Family Mediator through Family Mediation Canada
- Mediate BC Family Roster
- Mediate BC Civil Roster
- Began Mediating in 2003
- Previous Family Mediation Coordinator at Mediate BC
- Facilitates the Justice Education Society’s Parenting After Separation – Finances Workshop
- Hosts the monthly Vancouver Mediators' Lounge for conflict resolution professionals
- Simon Fraser University (SFU), Baccalaureate, Business and Liberal Studies
- University of British Columbia (UBC), Conflict Resolution in Human and Social Development
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT), Management Diploma, Human Resources
- Justice Institute of British Columbia (JIBC)
- Certificate in Conflict Resolution: Specialization in Mediation/Third-party Intervention
- Certificate in Family Mediation
- Associate Certificate in Conflict Coaching